“There is nothing like soup. It is by nature eccentric: no two are ever alike, unless of course you get your soup in a can.”-Laurie Colwin, ‘Home Cooking’
This is definitely not your ordinary soup recipe, but trust me, if you’re a fan of chicken enchiladas you will absolutely love this soup – because that’s exactly what it tastes like! I really enjoy making chicken enchiladas but I never thought to try it in a soup form…until now. It’s the perfect recipe for when you’re in need of a warm delicious meal on a cold night. Plus, it’s a slow cooker meal and when the soup is simmering in the crock pot the smell is so enticing you can’t wait till it’s done cooking. I topped my soup with avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips – delicious!
The first step is to melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Then stir in the flour; and whisk until mixture is smooth. Once the mixture starts to bubble slightly you can remove the pan from the heat.
Next you want to add the chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep the mixture smooth. Return to heat and bring sauce to a gentle boil and continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
The next step is to pour the enchilada sauce into the chicken broth mixture. Clearly I haven’t mastered the art of taking pictures with one hand and pouring with the other because I poured the sauce all over the whisk for majority of the pictures.
Gradually whisk in the remaining milk until mixture is smooth.
Next step is to gather up the drained beans, tomatoes, frozen corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker.
Then place the chicken breasts on top and pour the enchilada sauce over the chicken. Then let the slow cooker take it over from there.
Once the mixture is done, you can take the chicken breasts out from the slow cooker and shred the chicken with two forks. I’m amazed how easy it is to make shredded chicken in the slow cooker. It always tastes so delicious too. This is definitely one of my favorite soup recipes.
Adapted by: So Tasty, So Yummy
- Yield : 6 servings
- Unsalted Butter - 3 tablespoons
- All-Purpose Flour - 3 tablespoons
- Chicken Broth - 1/2 cup
- 2% Reduced Fat Milk - 2 cups
- Canned Black Beans - 1 (15 ounce can), rinsed & drained
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - 1 (14.5 ounce can)
- Frozen Corn - 1 (10 ounce) package
- Onion - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Red Bell Pepper - 1/2 cup, diced
- Enchilada sauce - 1 (10-12 ounce) bottle
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast - 3-4 (approximately 4 oz each)
- Light Mexican-Cheese Blend - 1 cup, shredded
- Corn Tortilla Chips - about 3 cups
- Melt the unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour; and continue to stir until smooth & mixture bubbles slightly.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add the chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Pour the enchilada sauce into the chicken broth mixture. Gradually whisk in remaining milk until smooth.
- In a slow cooker, combine the drained beans, tomatoes, frozen corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture.
- Pour the enchilada sauce mixture over ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for six to eight hours or on high heat for three to four hours.
- After cooking for desired time, remove chicken and shred with two forks into bite-sized pieces. Place shredded chicken into the slow cooker and stir well.
- Ladle the soup into six individual bowls and top with cheese. Additional toppings can be added as well, such as avocado, sour cream, fresh cilantro or salsa. Serve the soup with tortilla chips (about 1/2 cup chips per serving).
NUTRITION FACTS (from myfitnesspal): Yield - 6 servings, per serving - CALORIES 535, FAT 21g (SAT. 8g, POLY. 1g, MONO. 5g), PROTEIN 34g, CARBOHYDRATES 51g, FIBER 7.2g, SODIUM 1110mg, CHOLESTEROL 69.2mg.