“Make a list of important things to do today. At the top of your list, put ‘eat chocolate.’ Now, you’ll get at least one thing done today.” – Gina Hayes
Well I can definitely say without a doubt that I am in full-on holiday baking mode. It’s about time too – there’s exactly one week until Christmas! I have my to-do list, my to-wrap list, my to-buy list….clearly I’m a list maker. Thankfully, I completed my to-bake list already and it was a success.
First I baked my favorite sugar cookie recipe decorated with royal icing. I cut out Christmas tree shapes, mittens, ornaments, and gift tags. I shipped some out to family and friends and shared the rest with my co-workers. I also baked some of my favorite peanut butter & chocolate chip cookies (recipe to come soon!) and some classic chewy M&M cookies. With all these cookies around my house you’d think I’d have had my fill of desserts….but no. I also needed to makes some brownies to get my chocolate fix.
These brownies are delicious! They have a milk chocolate fudgy layer, and then are topped with a classic vanilla buttercream frosting. I actually prefer brownies without any icing but I just couldn’t resist how festive these looked with holiday sprinkles atop a white, creamy frosting.
Cookies…brownies…what else can I bake? After all, it’s the holiday season. Too many desserts? No such thing.
Adapted from, 100 Best Holiday Cookies
- Yield : 16 brownies
- FOR THE BROWNIES:
- Milk Chocolate Chips - 1 cup
- Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick)
- Granulated Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Vanilla Extract - 1 teaspoon
- All-Purpose Flour - 1 & 1/4 cups
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - 3 tablespoons
- Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- Confectioners' Sugar - 3 cups, sifted
- Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick), softened
- Milk - 2-4 tablespoons, divided
- Vanilla Extract - 1/2 teaspoon
FOR THE BROWNIES:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Melt milk chocolate chips and butter in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Pour in the granulated sugar and continue stirring until combined. Pour into a large bowl.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; blend well. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Place pan on wire rack; cool completely.
- Frost with buttercream frosting. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
- Yield: 16 brownies.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- Combine powdered sugar, butter, two tablespoons milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed until light and fluffy, adding more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, as needed to reach spreading consistency.
- Yield: 1 & 1/2 cups frosting