Adapted from, Cooking Light Magazine April 2012
- Yield : 4 servings
- Broccoli Florets - 3 cups
- Uncooked Rigatoni (or penne) - 8 oz (approximately 3 cups)
- Butter - 1 tablespoon
- All-Purpose Flour - 1 & 1/2 tablespoons
- 2% Reduced Fat Milk - 1 & 1/4 cups
- Reduced Fat American Cheese - 2 oz, cut into pieces
- Green Onions - 1/4 cup, thinly sliced
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Black Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
- Center-cut Bacon - 2 slices, cooked & torn into pieces
- Extra-sharp Cheddar Cheese - 2 oz (approximately 1/2 cup packed)
- Steam broccoli for five minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, pat dry and keep warm.
- Cook pasta in boiling water in a large pot (approximately 8 minutes or until al dente) drain and keep warm.
- Wipe down pan with paper towels and return to medium heat. Melt butter in pan. Sprinkle flour over melted butter; cook for 1 minute and stir constantly with a whisk.
- Gradually add milk to flour mixture, bring to a boil and continue stirring with whisk. Cook for 1 minute or until mixture is thick; remove from heat.
- Add American cheese; stir until smooth. Stir in sliced green onions and the remaining ingredients.
- Stir in broccoli and pasta; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (from cooking light magazine): Serves 4 (serving size 1 & 1/2 cups) CALORIES 413, FAT 13.3 g, PROTEIN 19.6g, CARBOHYDRATES 53.4g, FIBER 3.8g, SODIUM 772mg,